Monday, August 24, 2009

Our acceptance is NOT determined by anything or anyone

"Most of us spend our entire lives trying to earn acceptance. We want to earn it from our parents, peers, partners in life, from people we respect, maybe even from people we envy. The drive to be accepted is a deep drive that can influence the kind of clothes you wear, the kind of car you drive, the kind of house you buy, even the career you choose." - Rick Warren's daily devotion

I thought by changing my dress style, I'll be accepted by the 'cool' people;
I thought by doing what my peers do, I'll be accepted by them;
I thought by being someone that conforms to the society, I'll be accepted.

So many 'I thought's, but ultimately, I have come to the realization that I will never be happy if I allow my acceptance to be determined by something or someone.

I thank God that I do not have to earn His acceptance, I don't have to prove myself to Him. Jesus accepts me and it is not based on my performance (if it was, I think it'll take me a lifetime to earn His acceptance!!)

If there is one person I want acceptance from, it is God. He is the same yesterday, today and forever.

Is your acceptance determined by anything or anyone today?