Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Love E.V.E.R.Y.O.N.E

Even if it's...

- the neighbour who's constantly blasting his/her music;
- a rude salesperson ;
- the uncooperative groupmate in your project group;
- the unfriendly colleague who sits next to you in the office;
- the person who didn't thank you for holding the door etc

""You have heard that it was said, 'Love your neighbor and hate your enemy. But I tell you: Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you...If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? And if you greet only your brothers, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that?" - Mt 5: 43-44, 46-48

God reminded me of this verse today. Recently, I have been finding it hard to love someone whom I come into occasional contact with. I don't really know this person very well, but he is close to the family enough for me to have to be in contact with him sometimes. On top of that, I don't find him well-mannered or at least giving me the due respect I deserve.

Most of the times when I see him, a rush of negative emotions just consume me and they translate into actions. Many times, I get frustrated with myself for being two-faced (or double standard) for being able to treat love everyone but not this person.

It's easy to love those who love us and treat us the same way we do to them. But then we are no different from the others (i.e. people who do not have Christ in them)

It's NOT easy (as I've experienced) to love someone when they DO NOT treat us the same way we do to them.

But, that's what MAKES THE DIFFERENCE.

We are called to be salt and light to the world (Mt 5: 13-16) not salt and light that fades into the world.

"Lord, please teach me to have a heart for people just like you - to not judge and respond to them based on their actions. Rather, teach me to love them like you do - to look beyond their flaws and love them for who they are."